Friday, August 21, 2009

Spandas of The Now

Spanda is a Sanskrit term that translates to vibration, or motion. Creative spark. Divine inspiration. http://www.spandayoga.com/whatis.html

It is no surprise to me that I was introduced to this term by my good friend, peer, and teacher, Bill "Gorakh" Hiyashi of Columbia College. Bill teaches course offerings such as Mystical Consciousness and Philosophy of Love at the school, and is the anchor of our monthly Light Circles meetings. Light Circles is a sacred space that is held every First Friday of every month. A community "we" space, that is a place of support and non-judgment for young artists to explore their felt sense. Bill also taught me the meaning of this term 'felt sense' as well, and I put together how it relates to the wisdom of our direct experiences, our connection with the divine.

A typical Light Circle meeting will include a 1/2 hour of casual meet and greet, a potluck feast, an invocation, 2-3 hours of artists sharing their SoulArt in the form of music, singing, paintings, spoken word, and a meditation. Oftentime, the spandas are flowing as the frequency of the field is high and full of love. Have you ever felt tickled even though no one has touched you? Have you ever started laughing though no one has told a joke or said anything? This happened to me at our last meeting. A moment where one person(me) starts laughing, then another joins in, then another, and then the laughter perpetuates itself. Soon the whole room is belly laughing and no one really knows why.

That is the kinesthetic sense, or feeling of a spanda.

Last year, one day, Bill and I were grabbing coffee, and just checking in with each other. Our conversation are such a joy, so fluid, like jumping into a river destination unknown and just seeing where the current takes you.

Before I met Bill, if someone asked me what we were going to talk about before I left for the cafe, I would have all sorts of a response, "Philosophy, Love, Metaphysics, why we're here on this planet, Spirituality, Religion, Service, blah blah blah". These days, I just suit up and show up, and trust that whatever is supposed to be the topic will emerge.

We're at the cafe. "What did you just say?", he tunes in. I think it was something about either Chiron, or Indigo children, if memory serves, but the subject matter is immaterial.

"Tell me more.....every now and then these brilliant spandas come through you", Bill says.

(crickets)

No idea what he's talking about. Yup, I have a 160 I.Q this day.....on a scale of 1000.

Bill continues, "It's an inspiration that comes out of nowhere, out of nothingness, something that really resonates, and strikes a chord." One might call it creation itself.

Got it. And instantly I get why our chats are so riveting. The intention to create the field, to hold the space, to be open and vulnerable to where the energy may take you, without attachment or agenda.

Ever cook a recipe that you followed to the 'T' and you just know is missing a certain something, and then it occurs to you spontaneously the exact ingredient that will synthesize all the rest into a delicious meal.

Spanda!

I realize this nothingness that we create together is what makes our conversations so wonderful. The place Buddhists call 'no mind', also, "beginner's mind".

I would call it "if you get rid of the how, you'll get into the now."

That just came through. How 'bout that? A spanda that describes a spanda.

When Bill and I get together, we 'hold space' for one another, create a "we" space, put on our "beginner's minds", and with a whole personal library of felt senses and direct experiences to tap into for context if needed.

Like 2 painters with a full box of paints and brushes(our experiences), who need only to find the clear screen(space) on which to allow creation(spanda).

I'm going to see Bill tomorrow at a purification lodge ceremony.

What will we talk about?

Oh, probably nothing(ness).

(smile)

Aho,

Eric

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Thanks for this morning. And tomorrow. Magic and beauty. Thank you thank you. ~Marie

    ReplyDelete